Sunday, April 19, 2009

Zac Efron Wants To 'Grow Up' With '17 Again' -- But Not Too Much


Zac Efron wants to make sure that as he grows an actor and a person, his fans can grow with him. That's why as he takes a break from the world of musicals, he thought that his new film, "17 Again," was the right fit for him to make the transition from teen star to adult actor.

"We filmed it over a year ago, and it was very much a transitional movie, and that was the headspace that I was in," he told MTV News. "I wanted to bring along all the fans, so it's a familiar stomping ground. It's not a completely new world to be in. It's very similar."

Despite his desire to grow up, he isn't planning anything too adult. "I still make very family-friendly films," he said. "I'm not involved with the next 'Trainspotting' sequel or anything like that."

With "17 Again" hitting theaters, Efron recently passed on the opportunity to star in the "Footloose" remake. "It's just a ton of timing. Right now, I'm looking for a new challenge," he said. "I'm very excited about the future and trying new things and the unknown. Not that I'm done with musicals in any way, but I feel like I've made somewhat of a mark there, and I'd like to try new things before going back to my safe place."

Instead, he opted to make "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud," directed by Burr Steers, who also helmed "17 Again." "I'm not doing anything to drastically try and change up my image," he added about his future roles. "But I do need to keep things interesting for myself. And grow up."

Despite his time off from musicals, rumor has it that Efron will go back to his "safe place" for the reported "Hairspray" sequel. One rumored plot point has Efron's character taking acid and talking to pimples — which appeals to the young actor.

"I think I've heard a rough outline, and it sounds hilarious. It sounds like it's going to be awesome," he said. "That could be a deep conversation. I've had so many deep conversations with my own zits. They are some of the smartest people I know."

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1609436/story.jhtml

No comments: