Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Leno returns to show after fever


US talk show host Jay Leno has returned to the screen after being treated in hospital for a fever.

The presenter, who missed two editions of the Tonight Show, cracked jokes about swine flu, his 103 degree fever and an armed guard by his bedside.

The 58-year-old told his audience security was put in place after a man posing as a priest tried to get in.

The broadcaster had previously not missed any of his programmes since he became presenter in 1992.

'The Godfather'

"We're back and we're not gonna be cancelling any more shows or appearances," pledged Leno during the show.

Referring to the security scare, he said: "So, now I'm like The Godfather. It's so stupid."

The guard was put in place by the Tonight Show's broadcaster NBC.

Joking about his illness, Leno said: "What happened was - and I think was a mistake - I ate a raw pig a friend brought back from Mexico. It was delicious."

He also made cracks about Conan O'Brien, who is due to replace Leno when he leaves the show in June.

While in hospital, he said: "I had a horrible dream that I couldn't breathe. I felt like I was suffocating... then I woke up and realised Conan was holding a pillow over my face."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8022311.stm

No comments: