Tuesday, May 05, 2009

David Cook remembers late brother, thanks fans


David Cook released a statement on his website thanking fans for their support and explaining why he chose to participate in the Race For Hope -- the 5K run in Washington D.C. that raises awareness and funding to battle brain cancer -- this weekend, after learning his brother Adam (pictured, at right, with his wife and David) had succumbed to cancer the night before. "I decided to run in the race for two reasons," Cook writes. "First, my brother never wanted his illness to affect others. That was evident in the fact that he wanted his illness to have no part in my experience on Idol, a point he was quite adamant about....Secondly, there are many people who are still battling, and by running and sharing my brother's story, I hope that it offers those still fighting that much more resolve to not succumb to this wretched disease."

Cook also expressed gratitude to everyone who had shown their support, and pledged that his tour would continue as scheduled, with the exception of the May 6 show in Toledo, Ohio, which Cook promised he would "do everything possible to reschedule."

Click past the jump for Cook's full statement.

ON BEHALF OF MY FAMILY AND MYSELF
MAY 4, 2009, 4:25 pm

I wanted to write everyone and say a few things, in light of recent events, to dispel any misinformation that may be circulating and to say thank you on behalf of my family and myself to everyone who has shown even the slightest bit of support to us and our efforts as a family to help eradicate this terrible affliction.

My brother, Adam, passed away at 11:52pm Eastern, May 2nd. He was 37 years old and leaves behind his wife and two children. We had played Sunfest in West Palm Beach that night, walking off stage at approximately 11:00pm Eastern, and I rushed to get on a plane to fly to Washington D.C., to be a part of the Race For Hope-D.C., a fundraiser for research and development of a cure for brain cancer. I learned of Adam’s passing upon getting to my hotel around 3:00am Eastern. I decided to run in the race, despite all of this, for two reasons. First, my brother never wanted his illness to affect others. That was evident in the fact that he wanted his illness to have no part in my experience on Idol, a point he was quite adamant about. So, with that wish in mind, I ran and was involved with the event as an homage to him. Secondly, there are many people who are still battling, and by running and sharing my brother’s story, I hope that it offers those still fighting that much more resolve to not succumb to this wretched disease.

I want to again thank everyone who donated to the race and continues to donate, sent a kind email, posted thoughts and prayers, called, etc. I take it as affirmation that my brother was the great man that I knew, and whose ideals I constantly try to uphold in myself. It is with those ideals in tow that I vow to continue to speak out in hopes of raising whatever necessary to help eliminate cancer entirely.

Also, I mentioned earlier that Adam never wanted his illness to affect anyone. So, with the exception of our Toledo, OH, show on May 6th, which we will do everything possible to reschedule, all other shows will go on as scheduled.

Lastly, thank you to everyone for allowing us, as a family, to grieve and come to terms privately. This event has shown me, beyond doubt, that I have the greatest people in my life, family, friends, and fans alike, and for that, I can never offer enough thanks.

~D

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/05/david-cook-reme.html

1 comment:

pusangkalye said...

at pupunta talaga sya sa Pinas???? nuod tayo Marvz---keke