Saturday, January 03, 2009
Will Smith Voted Top Money-Making Star of 2008
According to the 76th Quigley poll, an annual survey among movie theater owners and film buyers, Will Smith (Hancock, Seven Pounds) is the top money-making star of the year dethroning Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean).
Smith is voted the Box-Office King, if you must, by generating the most box-office revenue for theaters for his two films Hancock and Seven Pounds.
On the other hand, it was Christian Bale’s “The Dark Knight” which ranked-in the most box-office money as it was hailed as the no. 1 movie in America for 2008 but Bale was only ranked third by Quigley this year. The Dark Knight earned a whopping 1 billion US dollars worldwide as of this writing.
Princess Diaries star Anne Hattaway was named a star of tomorrow, along with Chris Pine, who appeared in “Bottle Shock” and will play Captain Kirk in 2009’s “Star Trek” movie.
TOP 10 MONEY-MAKING STAR OF 2008
1. Will Smith (Hancock)
2. Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man)
3. Christian Bale (The Dark Knight)
4. Shia LaBeouf (Indiana Jones 4, Eagle Eye)
5. Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones 4)
6. Adam Sandler (Bedtime Stories)
7. Reese Witherspoon (Four Christmases)
8. George Clooney (Burn After Reading)
9. Angelina Jolie (Wanted)
10. Daniel Craig (Quantum of Solace)